Fall is approaching and it is time to get your Forsyth rental property ready for the season. Since it still isn’t too cold outside, now is the time to do those annual maintenance and repair tasks your rental property needs. Act now and don’t wait for winter to arrive. Your Forsyth rental property will be ready for anything that the winter season might bring once you complete these essential fall maintenance tasks.
- Clean Out Gutters: Gutters should be free from leaves and debris so that when the rain arrives in autumn, they won’t get clogged. Also, check the downspouts and make the necessary repairs to make sure that the water is directed away from the home’s foundation.
- Turn Off Outdoor Plumbing: If your property has an automatic sprinkler system, drain all the water out and shut it off at the box. Outdoor faucets and hoses must also be drained and insulated to prevent it from freezing or bursting.
- Furnace Tune-Up: Have your furnace set for fall! The furnace just sits there for almost a year, but it’s going to be working overtime this coming season so it’s best to service it now. It is a good idea to have it professionally serviced but if you decide to do it yourself, make a thorough visual inspection and be sure to install a new filter.
- Clean Fireplace and Chimney: Not just the furnace, you should also prepare your Forsyth rental property’s fireplace and chimney for the cold times ahead. Has it been a year since you last cleaned your chimney? This is the time to do it again. Don’t forget to clean the fireplace and inspect the flue. Like an athlete tackling an endurance event, make sure it is ready to endure the long cold days ahead.
- Replace Weatherstripping and Caulk: Keeping the warmth in and the cold out is a big part of fall maintenance preparations. The key here is to make sure your house is properly sealed, so check windows and doors and replace weatherstripping if it is worn out or missing. If there is a need, caulk around windows and doors for a weather-proof seal.
- Let the Light In: Natural light is important especially during these months. Light is not only good for your property but also for your tenant’s health. To maximize natural light, clean your rental property’s windows and blinds. With that in mind, replace older light bulbs with brighter, energy-efficient ones.
- Safety Check: The last thing to do to make your rental property ready for the season is to make a comprehensive safety check. Change the batteries in all smoke detectors. See if fire extinguishers are still within the expiration date. And make sure that your tenants have a safety plan to follow in case of an emergency.
Diligently follow these important tasks and your Forsyth rental property will be in good condition for the rest of the year.
Got questions about your fall maintenance checklist? We are here to answer them. Contact us online today! Real Property Management Vesta has teams of home service professionals ready to tackle your annual maintenance checklist right away!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.