If you’re looking for a new roommate, you know that it may be difficult to locate the perfect one. You want somebody reliable, responsible, and compatible with your lifestyle. How do you make sure that you will find the best possible roommate for you? Here are some tips and tricks to help you out!
- Define what you’re looking for in a roommate. Make a list of qualities that are important to you and make use of it as a screening tool when you’re talking to potential candidates. Be sure to include any deal-breakers (things that would make you unhappy), and make it a point to ask about them when you conduct interviews. Even though you may have an ideal roommate in mind, it’s also important to stay as realistic as possible. Setting your standards too high could make it very hard to find a new roommate.
- Scan your contact list. You probably know more people than you realize who could be looking for a roommate. That’s why a beautiful place to start is with your list of contacts. Scan your list and see if you already know someone who might make a great roommate. Then reach out and ask them! Letting people know that you’re looking for a roommate could end up locating someone who would be a perfect fit for your lifestyle.
- Ask friends and family. If you don’t know anyone looking for a roommate, that’s okay! Just ask your friends and family if they know anyone who might be interested. Chances are, someone you know knows someone looking for a place to live. And, since your friend or family member also knows you, they might be able to recommend someone you would get along with really well.
- Use social media. To expand your search, try using online resources like Facebook groups, Craigslist, and Reddit to let people know you’re looking for a roommate. You can also post a status update on your own profile or ask if anyone who follows you might know someone. Be clear about what you’re looking for, and be cautious about giving out too much personal information.
- Try a roommate locating service. If you’re struggling to find a roommate on your own, there are services available that can help. These services will match you with potential roommates based on your preferences and lifestyle. Different services operate in different ways, and there may be fees involved. Confirm with research any service thoroughly before you sign up.
- Choose the roommate that is the best fit for you and your lifestyle. After you’ve talked to a few potential roommates and checked out their references and rental history, it’s time to make your decision! If you’re trying to decide between more than one great option, go with your gut feeling and choose the person you think would best fit you and your lifestyle.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.